I had all intentions of starting my Malin over using the FLAK method (Follow the Leader Aran Knit – a specific method of knitting a sweater from the top-down.) I made the saddle shoulders, which is the first step, then cast on for the back of the neck and started another swatch for the central panel cable to see if I could both knit it upside down and still have the little loops look like they flow under the cable. I worked on this swatch for a day and a half before saying Uncle!! I just could not get the modifications to work. And so . . . Good thing I didn’t rip out my knitting! New day, new attitude.
What I didn’t like most about it was how huge and barrel-like it became after I added those side panels. I decided to rip back to the underarms, remove the panels, and see if I could work with the body. I basted the front and back together and tried it on.
It fits! All those cables stretch sideways and it works. Whew! I was being really “knit-picky” with my other complaints. I’ll blame my bad attitude on you-know-what.
Okay, so I’ll finish the back and front (stopping in the right place this time), sew on the saddles, sew up the side seams (which, really! They’re at my sides. I can live with the seam.), and knit the sleeves top-down following By Gum, By Golly’s tutorial. The sleeves don’t have that central panel; they only have my favorite rope cable and a couple other simple ones.