I just had to show off the bunny sweater I finished for my granddaughter. I’m really proud of it! It was challenging and so much fun to make!
Logan loves bunnies and loves the sweaters I knit for her, so naturally she asked me to knit her a bunny sweater! I couldn’t find a pattern that fit my needs, so I followed Elizabeth Zimmerman’s Seamless Yoke Sweater from her book, Knitting Around. Her pattern doesn’t tell you how many stitches to cast on, decrease by, or anything. You knit a swatch using the wool, needles, and the stitch you plan to use for the sweater, determine your gauge by counting how many stitches you have to the inch, multiply that by the chest size that you want the sweater to be, and that number is called “K.” You use K and the mathematical proportions that Elizabeth devised to write your own pattern. Crazy fun!!
Since it was the first time knitting that pattern, I wanted to do a practice run first. I found some yarn on clearance at Joanns, four skeins all the same dye lot for only $1.97 each so I scooped them up and knitted this “bonus” sweater. This yarn is worsted weight. I cast on 92 stitches for a 24″ chest.
I found lots of charts for all different kinds of bunnies. The bunnies I chose for Logan’s sweater are from a hat pattern called Printemps, which I purchased from Ravelry. I bought the wool at a local fiber festival this fall; it’s the natural colors of the sheep, not dyed at all. I started the sweater on December 13th by casting on 152 stitches for a 27″ chest. Logan has plenty of sweaters that fit her now so I made this one big.While doing my ribbing, I re-watched the Craftsy color work class I bought.I needed 171 stitches for my bunnies. There are nine in all, and I wanted one centered on the belly. I don’t have that much experience with color work and welcomed this opportunity to practice some more with it, but it took a very long time to do the bunnies! They’re only sixteen rows, and I had hoped to finish them in a few hours, but it took me about two days! I really needed to concentrate. The white wool had to be carried across so many stitches that it needed to be secured with the brown wool in some places. Then it was just knitting around to finish the bodice, knit the sleeves, unite the three pieces and start on the yoke. I loved the design on the yoke of one sweater I saw on Ravelry so I copied it for Logan’s. Elizabeth’s sweater instructions called for short rows on the back of the sweater to make the back neck a little higher than the front. I had to re-watch my Craftsy short row class for a refresher on that! And then just rib the neck, cast off and call it done!! I finished knitting the sweater on January 6th! . . . Or so I thought.
As I was admiring my work, something seemed off. I somehow got turned around and did the short rows on what was supposed to be the the FRONT!! 😧 That meant that the “jog” that happens when knitting in the round was on the right front shoulder for all to see instead of the back left. And my carefully-planned bunnies were out of place!
So I had to rip out all the way back to the short rows and re-knit. TOTALLY WORTH IT!!
Here’s the fixed front with the beautiful yoke pattern.Here’s the back of the sweater with the properly placed short rows and the jog on the left back shoulder where it belongs.Here are my perfectly placed bunnies after blocking.And here’s the finished sweater all knitted, blocked, and ends woven in!Finished for real on January 11th!