Hello! It’s time for another challenge at Cut it Up! I had a tough time with this one! Because of the colors, I started with a Halloween theme, got one project with a Frankenstein head half made, didn’t like it, abandoned it. Started again with a Scream faced guy holding a scythe, wasn’t working for me, abandoned that one. (Maybe you’ll see those two later in the year, or maybe even next year. I’ll keep them around in the hopes that inspiration will strike!) Then I decided to go in a completely different direction. I started looking through my doodlebat fonts. This one is from a font called Keroppi.
Below is a little tutorial on how I made my flowers in Silhouette Design Studio, but in case you’re not interested in reading all of that, I’ll give you the details for this Cut it Up Challenge first.
Go have a look at all the other cool projects made by our design team, then enter your project. Your project must include all these colors and only these colors – Purple, Orange, & Lime Green with Black!
Now on to my tutorial. I made the flowers two different ways.
Move the bottom layer (green on left) and recolor the original so it’s easier to distinguish between the two.
Resize the colored pieces – or don’t. This picture shows you the two different methods I used to make these flowers. The yellow leaf on the left is not resized. When I construct the flower, this yellow piece will fit perfectly into the negative space of the black outline. The flower will be flat. The yellow leaf on the right is made slightly larger. When I construct this flower, the black will be on top and the yellow underneath, giving dimension.
The one with the inserts is more fun to make, and is flatter — better to use if your project is already bulky — but I like them both!
So I finally am satisfied with my Purple, Orange, Lime Green with Black project!! YAY! This one’s a winner!