I found the handbook a little confusing, and the pictures are so small it was very hard for me to see, so I used a Daylight lamp with the magnifying glass attached. Once I figured out which cuts matched which parts of the robot, I wrote it in the book. I cut out everything I needed in the colors I wanted. It was five cuts: Robot, Robot Shift, Layer 1, Layer 1 Shift, and Layer 2.
Next I “dry placed” the pieces to identify them and see where they went. This helped because some of the pieces look very much alike, but they might fit better on the left leg than the right, or the top arm better than the bottom arm. It also helped me figure out the layers and what to glue on first. In the example below, dry placing the pieces helped me to decide if the green part of the eye was supposed to go on top of or underneath the green face. In the picture, I show the left eye under and the right eye on top. I thought they looked better underneath, so that’s where I put them.
Many of the robots used a white doughnut shape with a black circle underneath for the eye. The outer circumference of both circles was exactly the same, and it was hard for me to line them up correctly and glue the black piece on so it didn’t show on the outside of the white circle. I decided to trim the black circles before I glued them to the white doughnut shapes. The top eye in this picture shows what the front looks like; the bottom one shows the back.
This shows the first layer of parts glued in place:
And here’s the final piece with the shadow (Layer2/shadow shift) in white.
These guys are so cute and so much fun to make! Tomorrow I’ll show you the other Robotz I made for my bulletin board.